Jewish Learning & Discovery in the safety of our Classrooms!
Hebrew School 2020-21 – COVID-19 Update Test
We at the Center are once again putting together a year filled with exciting and innovating learning programs and activities. At Hebrew school we strive to instill within the youngsters a love for Judaism, the Torah and the Jewish people.
Covid-19 has challenged us on many levels. However, we have designed a learning program, based on current research, that will ensure the children’s participation, grow their knowledge and allow them to experience Judaism in a way that’s unique for our times. While we recognize the limitations and challenges ahead, this year poses an even greater opportunity than usual to bring home the importance of Jewish identity and we are confident that we will deliver a vibrant, engaging and nurturing Jewish educational experience that your children will love at Hebrew School.
Our focus this year is to work with each family to do what is best for everyone. Therefore, we will be offering both In-person “Pod” classes outdoors on Sundays & Wednesdays, as well as a Virtual “Out-of-the-Box” Option. Both options will have the same tuition.
The “In-Person” classes will be held at the JCC spread throughout the school yard. The lessons will be taught in a fun and memorable fashion keeping true to what our hands-on Hebrew School experience is known for. Areas of academic emphasis include the Hebrew Language & Prayer, Jewish history, holidays, songs, traditions, values, and The Land of Israel.
The safety of our students is our first priority and we will be strictly following all COVID related guidelines from the CDC and local Health Departments. We are coming off a very successful summer of in-person camp where the children enjoyed a wonderful summer in a safe environment with the safety protocols in place. We are looking forward to continuing based on our experience in this regard.
- Parents are asked to stay in their cars – staff will bring the students to / from the cars.
- Every student will have their temperature taken prior to coming out of the car.
- The students will be kept in their own “Pods” during the day, minimizing their interaction with other classes.
- All Staff will be wearing masks and it is recommended that students wear them as well.
The “Out-of-the-Box” virtual classes will be comprised of four parts. Each part will be independent from the others, offering added flexibility to meet each family’s unique schedule.
- A Virtual One-on-One with a live teacher for Hebrew Reading. This does not have to be on a Sunday morning, but rather at a time that is best for you.
- An “Out-of-the-Box” lesson that comes complete with all the supplies for an interactive craft or project. This will be accompanied by either a live Zoom of myself leading the activity on Sunday morning or a recording of me – again, offering flexibility for when you choose to do the activity. Each week’s lesson will continue along with the same scheduled theme of the In-Person classes.
- A Sing-along for the Tefilot / Prayers – where the students can follow along at their own pace.
- We will schedule a time for the students of each grade to get together via Zoom for a period of time to socialize under the guidance of a teacher.
Due to the way the High Holidays have fallen out this year (all on weekends) we will begin classes after the Holidays, the week of October 18th, offering a bit more time for some additional clarity as we navigate the Covid-19 situation.
I understand you may have some questions or concerns, so please do not hesitate to contact me. I am sure we can find the best option for you and your family. Together we will continue to fashion a deep, resonant Jewish identity for all our children!
Rabbi Dovid & Laya Lisbon